Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:06:36 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I'd rather have voting before war is actually declared. But I want a GUI
> for voting before I want voting. It is too important to leave to server
> commands. Then there is the question of whether or not this can be
> implemented at a later stage, or if the alliances patch must be delayed
> until voting is in. What do you think?

I don't really like the idea of voting.  Alliances aren't democracies.

What if the team leader had the ability to kick out anyone in the
alliance who didn't have the same diplomatic state as they did?  Then
you could have the same sort of thing that the AI has now: "Why do I
need to remind you of your promises?"  And after the leader has had
enough they can boot the player.  The only drawback is it potentially
takes some work for the alliance leader.

I'm not saying the new alliance system is bad.  It may be better than
the current alliance system (I'm not one to judge).  But I do think this
area can be improved.

jason