Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:22:13 -0700

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> I don't really like the idea of voting. Alliances aren't democracies.

At least they don't need to be, and they are probably a lot more efficient
if they are not.

> What if the team leader had the ability to kick out anyone in the
> alliance who didn't have the same diplomatic state as they did?

They already have the ability to kick out anyone in the alliance.

> Then you could have the same sort of thing that the AI has now: "Why do
> I need to remind you of your promises?"And after the leader has had
> enough they can boot the player.The only drawback is it potentially
> takes some work for the alliance leader.

It takes work for the alliance leader to find the offenders and boot them
*and* it takes work for the alliance members to follow every war
declaration and follow them up with ones of their own. The transaction
costs of this proposal are IMHO way too big for a feasible implementation.

  - Per