Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:57:00 -0700

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> My concern is for actions that the non-leader doesn't wish to go along
> with that they are forced into.

An alliance is a very powerful thing. It would be too bad if it didn't
have any drawbacks :)

In my view, an alliance is exactly this: When it comes to war, _you stand
together_. If this does not hold, then I don't see why you need an
alliance in the first place.

> Say the team leader declares war.Alliance member X doesn't want war,
> and would prefer to leave the alliance.But this isn't an option.  War
> is already declared on their behalf automatically.X may leave the
> alliance now but will still be at war and will get a reputation penalty
> to boot.
>
> Is it possible that when the team leader declares war, team members have
> a limited time (1-10 turns) to follow suit or they must leave the
> alliance?(If the team leader was the agressor there should be a
> reduced penalty in this case.)

The game logic required for this will be nightmarish. And what should
happen if a player choses not to, or forgets to, declare war on his
allies' enemies? What if he declares war on most but forget one of them?
When an an alliance declares war on another alliance, the number of
players involved can be large - why require that each player figures out
who he should be at war with and declares war on each manually?

I'd rather have voting before war is actually declared. But I want a GUI
for voting before I want voting. It is too important to leave to server
commands. Then there is the question of whether or not this can be
implemented at a later stage, or if the alliances patch must be delayed
until voting is in. What do you think?

  - Per