Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "LoboGris" <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:15:05 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>I don't like the excessive powers given to a single team leader.

I think this way is the better and in the practice doesn't lead to any
excessive power for the leader. My arguments:

Technical advantages:
- A democratic mechanism would lead to many complications with AIs.
- A democratic mechanism would lead to many innecesary complications
between humans players. It is more easy a chat discussion (although I
don't know if freeciv actually supports private chats and channels, but
there are always other ways to communicate)

Game characteristics:
- The leader acts as a needed executive organism of the alliance, not
necessary the decission organism.
- Between humans, there are always possibilities of discussion about
what to do.
- If one or more members doesn't agree with the action executed (or to
be executed) by the leader, they can leave the alliance and create its
own, with the following loss of power by the leader . This makes
pressure over the leader if he tends to take unilateral decissions. If,
anyway, one or more members disagree with the resolution but the leader
is too powerfull so to make unconvenient a rupture, this is part of the
game.

Observations:
- I don't know, Per, if your patch contemplates the following: I think
that each member has to be protected from a resolution that doesn't
agree with. For example, when the leader executes a resolution of war,
each member has to be asked if obbey the resolution executed by the
leader, or instead leaves the alliance. I think this is neccesary so to
avoid, for example to stay momentaneously in war state with a player
that the member doesn't desire to be in war and want a quick new
alliance avoiding distrust consequences (mainly for AI players).

LG