Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "LoboGris" <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:50:24 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>I don't know how to implement this in any way that is not hideously
>complicated. How does the server ask the player a question? And what
>happens until the player answers, or if he does not, or if the turn times
>out before he does? No, I do not want to go there.
>
>  - Per

IMHO there is no immediate need of add such a feature. It can be left
for further development and anyone can take the task. But I think your
approach can be considered in the following simple and scalable (i
think) manner:

- After the war declaration by the leader, the dipl. state changes
inmediatelly for all the members of the alliance, as actually, but the
server remembers the previous diplomatic and trust states of each one,
so if in the same turn, the member wants to revoke the action (for
example, a button in the players dialog, so to avoid an explicit asking
from the server) all the previous dipl. and trust  states of the member
is recovered, except those with the other members of the alliance, which
will change from "alliance" to "peace", for example.
- The button in players dialog to recover the previous status is only
available in the same turn of war declaration.