[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7045) Double trade route revenue

To: raven@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7045) Double trade route revenue
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 05:31:47 -0800

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:43:52 -0800 Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:00:29AM -0800, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> > 4. I have tried out a builder strategy of maximizing a city (size 12):
> >
> >      - The Colossus
> >      - 4 trade routes
> >      - Harbor
> >      - Marketplace
> >      - Library
> >      - Temple
> >      - Aqueduct
> >
> > The shields and time cost of creating this city can be converted to
> > settlers. The trade output of the big city is not bigger than the
> > output of the smallpox cities that you could build for the same
> > effort. Therefore, trade route output must increase.
>
> Could you please post the calculation you did?

It was more like a test I did some time ago. Saving and loading,
looking at the output of the empire following two paths. Assuming
normal settler cost and unhappysize etc. so the cities grow to size
3. I don't remember the trade output of the big one, but total was not
better. The production advantage of many cities comes on top.

Of course you need more land for many cities, so the problem is
related to the fact that war always breaks out.

Arnstein