[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7045) Re: (PR#7051) Server options, rulesets, and usab

To: a-l@xxxxxxx, raven@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7045) Re: (PR#7051) Server options, rulesets, and usability.
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 03:57:07 -0800

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, raven@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Arnstein: I would be interested to hear the reasons for your strong
> distaste for server-options.
>
> As a player, I absolutely love the plethora of options I can adjust in
> freeciv.
> More-over, the really important part would be to have this GUI not be
> something you would poke pregame, but something you would carefully edit
> outside of a game, and save in it's entirety. This "set of rulesets" or
> game style, would be accesible through one command in pregame, rather than
> several minutes of fiddling.

Apart from the GUI, this is already implemented through the
civserver --read command line option. See eg civ2.serv.

I think many of the present server-options should be moved into rulesets
as they are extremely rarely used and just make it harder for players to
find the options they are looking for. The only excuse for not doing this
is that pubserver can't easily load custom rulesets.

  - Per