[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7045) Double trade route revenue

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7045) Double trade route revenue
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:21:10 -0800

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:00:29AM -0800, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:

> Proposal to change a game variable:
>
> Nobody's using caravans for trade routes, so I say we
> double the profit.

I dislike to change a variable in the game without the chance to change
it back to the old default value during the start of the game.
(make it configureable)

> The reasons are;
>
> 1. It provides builders a way to compete better without imposing
>    draconian limitations on the warmongers.
>
> 2. We don't need another server option.
>
> 3. Since trade routes affect base trade, the usefulness of buildings
>    like Marketplace will increase automatically. Then we won't need
>    non-civ-ish patches that give Marketplaces 100% bonus instead of
>    the normal 50%.
>
> 4. I have tried out a builder strategy of maximizing a city (size 12):
>
>      - The Colossus
>      - 4 trade routes
>      - Harbor
>      - Marketplace
>      - Library
>      - Temple
>      - Aqueduct
>
> The shields and time cost of creating this city can be converted to
> settlers. The trade output of the big city is not bigger than the
> output of the smallpox cities that you could build for the same
> effort. Therefore, trade route output must increase.

Time to recall my idea with increasing the settlercost with every built
settler.

It's the idea with the smallest changes which works against the
ICS-problem.

Thomas