[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5081) huge send buffer

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5081) huge send buffer
From: "kersten@xxxxxxxxxx" <kersten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:38:27 -0700

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:

> Just some remarks:
>
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:08:05PM -0700, kersten@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I killed the client here.
> But has the server really closed the connection at this point?

> It looks as it didn't, couldn't flush the buffer ...
>
> > > Basically, for whatever reason, that client was not receiving fast enough.
> > > We limit the size of the send buffers in order to not waste too much
> > > memory in the server. No, they are not statically allocated.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa @ Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisboa
> > >

> > Same with me here: large game, no observers, fast machine, server running
> > on localhost; client takes forever to display the movements of all units.
>
> How fast is your machine?

2.66Ghz PIV.

> > In the first part of the move they crawl, then suddenly they speed up. The
> > machine takes 100% CPU. That's a lot. The server disconnects the client
> > almost every turn due to ping timeouts.
>
> Anybody else seeing ping timeouts? I didn't. You refer to CVS version I
> suppose.

Yep.

> > Restarting the client from scratch
> > speeds things up, reconnecting from the existing client makes it worse.
>
> *Maybe* related to PR#3769, what i consider a serious bug, and the problem
> also emerges only after 2 or 3 turns?

It occurs only in the endgame, with lots of units and a (alomost) complete
vision. Yes, after 2 or 3 tuns I'm back where I started (disconnected).

Just an observation: the AI moves *lots* of units accross its continent in
the crawling stage, and after popup of a still-to-be-filled message
window, things speed up dramaticaly and de AI moves almost all its units
in other directions than before. Seems odd to me.

> > After a few turns the cycle restarts. Memory consumage rises as well. I'm
> > using the GTK 2.0 client.
>
> Memory consumage I see here, too, occasionally, but this is hard to
> quantisize due to virtual memory management.

I agree, but the rise is significant (swap 70%, mem 90%). There were no
other applications to address this to.

> > Any clues?
> > --
> > Pieter J. Kersten