Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4213) New pact: Union v2

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4213) New pact: Union v2
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:24:06 -0700

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 03:30:54AM -0700, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > If this is the goal/the net effect of Union that there is a simple
> > way: an auto-sharing treaty.
> >
> > Or a simple button in the tech dialog: "Share tech with partners".
>
> Yes! A treaty clause "Auto give away all new techs to partner". Can be
> cancelled at any time.

While this might be an idea, it does not replace the need for Union. To
quote Thomas's first post on this subject:

"teamgames are really funny but when in a team are people who don't
understand the way how its optimal to get new techs in freeciv its not
easy to play fast games. You need around 2 minutes for a turn to teach
the people what to research when to change the immediate techogoal what
the long term techgoal should be, and what techs to exchange."

> IMO the technology sharing in a union doesn't fit very good in the current
> game concept. The advantages maybe very big.

Possibly.

> Wider changes to the current tech related behaviour are necessary, which
> forbids making it an option.

I don't see what "wider changes" are necessary. Can you please explain?

> A better place for a union is the teams concept I think. I must admit I
> never tested teams.

Team play is the reason why Union was invented. It would be nice if Union
was available also for non-team games as well (AIs would love it;), but if
we are unable to balance it then it can be limited to teams.

  - Per