Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4213) New pact: Union v2

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4213) New pact: Union v2
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:11:40 -0700

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 02:56:14AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > You're saying that when A, B, C have the same tech points rate, B will have
> > threefold tech points than without a union? Wow, that's a lot. Nobody will
> > play without being in union then, at least not win.
>
> Right. Any ideas on how to balance it?

In Space Empires 4 you get a percentage of the partner's resources and
science as an extra income (the partner doesn't loose it). The
percentage is capped at 20% and starts with 0%. It increases 1% each
turn. From the manual:

   For example, you and empire X enter into a Trade Alliance. Empire X
   generates 10,000 of each resource type each turn. On the first
   turn, after the turn the treaty is begun, you will receive 1% of
   his output in trade. Which means you will get 100 minerals,
   organics, and radioactives in trade. The next turn, you will
   receive 2%, or 200 resources. This will continue until after 20
   turns you are receiving 2000 resources per turn. Of course, after
   20 turns, empire Xs output will probably have increased and you
   will receive even more resources. Also keep in mind that empire X
   will receive 20% of your resource output in trade as well. You dont
   actually lose any resources, but he will get more than normal, and
   so will you.

   Of course, if you break the treaty for some reason, all trade
   ceases. No more free resources. If you do reestablish the treaty,
   it will begin at 1% trade levels and rise from there. Be certain
   youre ready to forfeit those resources before you
   do something rash like declare war!

So these rules favor a long term relationship and aren't too strong
(capped at 20%). So with 3 equal strong players a player can get at
most 140% of the normal research rate.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "SIGDANGER - The System is likely to crash soon"