Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch
From: Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:30:41 -0700

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 08:24:12PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:44:29PM +0000, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> > 1. Catapults, Cannons..., and bombers, and warships are categorized
> >    as doing "bombardment" when attacking land tiles. That means one
> >    or more units in the stack _may_ take a very small amount of
> >    damage. Nukes are ~50% lethal.
>
> > like to "fix". Mine is the ship bombardment. We could have an endless
>
> Leaving all this layer stuff out of this for a moment: what would be
> needed for a bombardment? IMHO only a attacked-unit-don't-defend
> flag. However if you do this you create a powerful unit. So you have
> to weaken it. Examples are:
>  - reduce attack power
>  - only allow one bombardment attack per turn
>  - allow these unit to be captured

In CTP IIRC bombarding couldn't kill a unit.  Units also had a different
bombard firepower than regular attacking.  Even if thats not how it
worked, it makes sense.  Attacking with artillery isn't really a good
idea you can't exactly mow through the enemy cavalry while wheeling your
cannons forward into them.  Even the most advanced artillery systems I
know of (Paladin and Crusader) they don't fire on the move.

--
Paul Zastoupil