Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:20:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> Freeciv is an action game. Winner takes the whole stack, and nothing
> is ultimately defendable. It only aims to simulate one or two realism
> aspects of any given thing.

I totally agree with this premise.

> I think the layers proposal is a gigantic kludge.

I do not think that this conclusion follows, however. My and Greg's reason
for ressurecting the layers discussion was not to introduce more realism,
but to use it as a vehicle to make the existing rules consistent.

As an added bonus, it gives increased realism, may allow us to simplify
and generalise some rules, and adds more customization possibilities for
modpacks.

To rehash, there are two problems:
  - attacking a tile that contains a ground unit and an air unit results
in behaviour that is not well defined and sometimes highly undesirable
  - X transporting Y units into a tile with a unit by Z, where allied(X,
Z) and !allied(Y, Z) results in illegal stacking

Layers as such solves the former, the additional stacking rule which is
part of my layers redux proposal solves the latter.

If you are against layers, then please present a proposal to consistently
solve the above two problems some other way.

  - Per