Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:18:59 -0700

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > On civ1 / civ2 compatibility issues:
> >
> > I've seen Per proposing all units in the same layer, this seems not a
> > good way to be "civ[12]" compliant.
>
> To clarify, if only the layers redux proposal is implemented then the only
> change is that if a tile contains both an air unit and a ground unit, we
> can attack the tile (irrespective of the stats of all units involved) -
> the air unit loses its ability to block once it stacks with a unit that
> can be attacked.

We can model the idiotic civ12 bomber blocking ability by generalising the
"layer superiority" rule to demand that a unit has to be able to attack
all units in its own and any other listed layers.

I don't know how we can reasonably model the even more idiotic rule that
an attacking Fihgter might be forced to attack a Mech Inf rather than the
Bomber.

> > NOTE: If we introduce different attack power for every layers, we should
> > consider to do the same for defense power. (this will make AEGIS not an
> > exception but something that has big low-airand high-air defense power)
>
> I was afraid someone might suggest this... For AI, different attack powers
> won't be very hard to support, but different defense power will be. The
> reason is that we know what we want to attack, but we don't know where
> attacks will come from.

I disagree.  AI already has to deal with exceptions like F_IGWALL,
F_PIKEMEN, F_AEGIS and F_FIGHTER.  Raimar's proposal allows, by setting
bomber own layer attack power to be 0, to do away with F_FIGHTER.  Split
defence powers will allow to do the same with F_AEGIS.  But what about the
others?

I think it is the best to keep one system, therefore even splitting attack
powers is not needed.

Note, that the pure layers redux proposal allowed full Civ12 compatibility
(including all idiotic features like bombers falling out of sky when the
Mech Inf under it is killed).  All you had to do is to put everything into
one layer.

So my vote is for Per's original plan without additions.  Unless someone
tells me how to implement F_PIKEMEN (well here you can just put all horses
into a special layer ;) and F_IGWALL rules in the layered attack/defence
scheme.

G.