Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2581) Layers proposal redux
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:42:33 -0700

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> I think this is pretty straightforward. So what would this patch do?
>  - change the attack field in the ruleset to a list
>  - change the attack_strength field in struct unit_type to an array
>  - network support for the previous point
>  - extend function in common/combat to take the defender
>  (base_)get_attack_power for example
>  - update various output function (client help, client unit info, ...)
>  - add logic that you can't attack a layer for which you have attack==0

Sounds good for the behind-the-scenes implementation. My only worry is
that you might overload the information presented to the user.

Consider: 5/4/2, easy to read, memorize and understand.

Now consider, given four layers: [1/3/5/0]/4/2

It would be better, I think, to make the layer it is in the primary, and
show attack power as before for this layer, and then add attack powers in
other layers as additional capabilities iff these attack powers > 0.

So you'd have for example "5/4/2, air att 1, space att 3" for the above
unit.

> TODO:
>  - change AI to cope with this (the AI may use the average attack
>  power for the start)

The AI usually knows which layer it is going to attack, so this shouldn't
present much of a problem.

  - Per