Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "James" <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:09:34 -0700

On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:59, you wrote:
> Concetrated batch of opinions ahead:
>
> I really would recommend clipping the visual and effective number of
> veteran levels to 3, plus green.
>
> Green:    No icon, and no mention of the word 'green'. Just normal.
> Veteran:  One stripe, or yellow colored 'V' or something.
> Hardened: Two stripes, or maybe darkish red, brown 'V'.
> Elite:    Three stripes, or maybe black 'V', purple heart / iron
>           cross, whatever.
>
> James seems to have 'hardened' before 'veteran', but 'veteran' is
> universally recognized as someone who has seen combat.

My dictionary says:

veteran n 1. A person who has had long experience of an occupation, skill, or
service, e.g. in the armed forces.

I thought that this "long experience" should be reflected by `veteran' being
very high in the level list.  Hardened does however imply that the unit has
become battle hardened.  Yes, I can see that it might be appropriate to have
hardened after veteran.
I think that with more than 4 levels however `veteran' should be higher up
than say `experienced'.

I'm happy to strip the ruleset down to 4 levels (or 3 and `green')(although I
do think that support for more is important).  Gaining lots of small levels
is probably less interesting than gaining a few levels but having the effects
larger.  This is all ofcourse configurable in the ruleset.

James