Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:03:19 -0700

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:01:02PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > 5. I miss a server option to switch the whole stuff off.
>
> This becomes problematic. You see, veteran levels should be defined in
> units.ruleset, _instead_ of being hardwired in the code like they are now.
> So there won't be anything we can switch on/off. You'll have to modify the
> ruleset.

That means we can still have a ruleset with the old system. That is ok.
But I really hope that the interface will not get more difficult, when using
the old system.

> You don't want to play with extra veteran levels?

Well, I certainly will give it a try. But in the old system, I can quite
sufficiently estimate the result of a battle. In the new system, I won't, even
if - what I think is really necessary - the veteran status of enemy units is
displayed.

BTW: the AI is cheating in this respect, too, right? It sees the veteran
level of my units.

>   - Per

Christian

Addendum:

We need documention in the help system for it, probably with respect to the
ruleset dependent veteran levels.

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/