Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:51:39 -0700

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:51:45AM -0700, James wrote:

> Okay...atlast! :-) Here's the patch for the CVS code.  This should apply
> correctly.
> I've only been able to test the gtk client though.

Here are my comments:

1. For the display of veteran levels a suggestion:

Use the color of the hitpoint display for it. This is somewhat natural,
because both hit points and veteran status affect the battle strength.

You could use kungfu belt colors or the like for it, or just darker colors
== more strength.

2. the veteran status names in unit.ruleset lack i18n

3. Veteran levels for caravans

I don't like the idea of caravan veterans which give more shields. Here you
mix two very different concepts. This should be seperate IMHO.

4. Veteran levels for diplomats

You could use the same factors as for military units, instead of integers

5. I miss a server option to switch the whole stuff off.

Also, make sure that the game works as usual then.

6. Unit popup for settlers

I cannot see what the number behind the action is good for. There is a
factor 10 to the work units, but with no respect to the veteran state of the
settlers. With veteran levels, this means a lot of calculation to know when
the work will be done. I'm not a calculator, I'm a player.

7. Message options

I get messages in the messages window (F10) about veteran status change,
even when I have the message option off.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/