Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:41:00 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, James wrote:

>>I've got hold of the CVS code and have tried applying the patch and I see
>>that you are right.Is there an easy way for me to update the patch (i.e.
>>using patch and diff), or is this going to be a case of copying all the
>>modifications over manually?
>

> I'm afraid so. The usual way to do it is to let patch do what it can, then
> go over the resulting .rej files which contain all the stuff that didn't
> apply, and do these change manually.

You can do something like

   cvs up -r R1_14_0
   patch -s -p0 < ...
   cvs up -A

to get the 1.14.0 code, apply the patch to that, then update to the
newest code.  CVS will be able to match a larger amount of the patch to
the code, and will merge conflicts directly into the files (which is
easier to work with than the .rej files IMO).

jason