Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "James" <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:09:34 -0700

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 20:08, you wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 02:08:26PM -0700, James wrote:
> > Whats NOT included:
>
> > - No support for veteran caravans.  I think that a better caravan
> > should give better revenues.
>
> How does a caravan gets a higher level? Only by buildings in the
> producing city?
>
>       Raimar

I didn't actually add any special ways for caravans to become more veteran
(other than surviving combat as with all land units), but then again I didn't
add any special abilities either because I'm still unsure as to how to
proceed with city improvements affecting veteran status.

With diplomats it was easy.  I implemented what was suggested by giving them
a configurable chance to escape (just like spies, but much less likely).
That way diplomats can become more veteran and become better without the need
for city improvements making them more veteran.

Caravans on the other hand were a different kettle of fish.  I couldn't think
of a way to make them gain veteran level without city improvements, so I
decided not to implement any special trade bonuses for them.

I think personally that city improvements giving extra veteran levels are
quite a nice idea and I'd like to implement them (they would be ruleset
configurable ofcourse because I know that not everyone supports the idea).
The way that I'd like to do it is as follows:

1 - Add two new city improvement effects `EFT_VETERAN_CARAVAN' and
`EFT_VETERAN_DIPLOMAT'
2 - When a new unit is created it will check all the city improvements and
for evey building it finds with the relevant effect it will add 1 to the
veteran level.
3 - Some changes to the trade route system will be made to take account the
veteran level of the unit that created the trade route, giving bonuses to
those which were created with a more veteran unit.

Does that sound ok?  There doesn't seem to be any way to create new unit
classes using the rulesets so I'd rather not get into a system that can give
extra veteran levels to a specified unit class just yet.

Thanks,
James