Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:09:35 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 07:09:34AM -0700, James wrote:
> I think personally that city improvements giving extra veteran levels are
> quite a nice idea and I'd like to implement them (they would be ruleset
> configurable ofcourse because I know that not everyone supports the idea).
> The way that I'd like to do it is as follows:
>
> 1 - Add two new city improvement effects `EFT_VETERAN_CARAVAN' and
> `EFT_VETERAN_DIPLOMAT'
> 2 - When a new unit is created it will check all the city improvements and
> for evey building it finds with the relevant effect it will add 1 to the
> veteran level.
> 3 - Some changes to the trade route system will be made to take account the
> veteran level of the unit that created the trade route, giving bonuses to
> those which were created with a more veteran unit.
>
> Does that sound ok?  There doesn't seem to be any way to create new unit
> classes using the rulesets so I'd rather not get into a system that can give
> extra veteran levels to a specified unit class just yet.

No, don't do that! Sure, you can't add new unit classes in Freeciv CVS
yet (this is still waiting... and waiting... for inclusion, but it's in
FreecivAC, http://freecivac.sf.net/, already) but city improvement effects
don't do anything at all in Freeciv CVS anyway, so adding new effects won't
help you. FreecivAC also does (2) already.

I say again, don't bother trying to reimplement improvement effects just
for veteran levels. It's non-trivial code (if it weren't, the FreecivAC
code to do it would've gone into Freeciv 2 years ago when I wrote it...)
but it has been written already. I suggest you concentrate on getting
the other stuff sorted out (e.g. the graphics) so that the code can get
in to CVS; improvement effects will get there too eventually...

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."