Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: worklists (was Re: Suggestion / Ideas )

To: Rafal Bursig <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: worklists (was Re: Suggestion / Ideas )
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:53:54 -0600

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:53:44PM +0200, Rafal Bursig wrote:
> Dnia 2003.04.01 13:10, Per I. Mathisen napisa³(a):
> > On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Rafal Bursig wrote:
> > > This is true when you play mutiplayer and leave game ( and other
> > > player start play your nation ).
> > > But I speak here about SinglePlayergame. I only want that my global
> > > ( and city ) worklists are avilable after load a savegame without
> > any
> > > additonaly action ( manualy import/export from disk ). And this is
> > > very important for singleplayer.
> >
> > Just automatically load worklists from disk on game start. No problem.
> >
> This can be problematic becouse you must know what load and where
> client can find it.
> If you have small number of list then you can order load them all but
> if you have more than 16 then you must know what lists was used in each
> savegame.

It's not problematic. worklists are saved in .civclientrc. to save them,
just save your client settings. If you really use more than 16 global
worklists, start a poll, and we can change MAX_NUM_WORLISTS

> > I don't want the worklists in savegames, since this bloats the
> > savegames unnecessarily. We tried this (it was this way earlier) but
> > we changed
> > it.
> Then hit this problem with other side... server.
> If we add loging to server ( or pubserver ) and we have "users" on
> server/pubserver then we can save global worklists of all "users". This
> don't take so much place on disk.

no way. worklists are personal.

> When you login to server you can see yours stats and view/edit/remove
> your global worklists.
> Now you can start new game or join exist game.

why shouldn't you be able to do this offline?

> In this case savegame should save only city worklist becouse global
> worklists are stored by server in other file and this will work nice
> with home single player games becouse server will store yours global
> worklists (or others freeciv server "users" but you won't have access
> to it).

pointless.

> In this way we have entry to some (best) players worklists that can be
> used by pubserver AI or more we can redistribute those worklists ( with
> owners permision ) with freeciv code.

no way. what's the point really? If people what to share, they can start a
thread on the freeciv mailing list.

-mike