Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim
From: "Ilkka Lehtoranta" <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:20:01 -0800

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I'm afraid it is not that simple. You have a para in city X, there is no
> target nearby. This is the most common case - you build them one place and
> use them some other place. What do you do? Do you let the standard AI
> routines handle it until you are in a city and there is a jump target
> somewhere? Then it will be unlikely to activate often. Or do we give it
> over to special para code which attempts to find cities from which it can
> jump? Here we risk not using paras as regular troops when they could and
> should be.

Usually para could just act like an extra defender in the city. In the
city  which is near to hostile territory. In Civilization II AI uses paras
for  capturing defendeless cities only. I havent seen any other actions
taken by paras in there.

Capturing good defense positions and enemy resources (mines) or
blocking traffic could be good idea tho (dont know if freeciv does this
already).

In short: para is defensive unit but can take effective counter attacks
sometimes. Should be enough IMO.

  Ilkka