Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 05:06:04 -0800

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in ai_military_findvictim(
>
>   /* Ferryboats with passengers do not attack. */
>   if (punit->ai.passenger > 0) {
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> why that? Attacking with caravels and fregattes is better than getting
> attacked by the same unit.

For simplicity.  But you are welcome to write a patch which should figure
the cost of the passangers into the cost of the unit and then into the
kill_desire equation.

> And even attacking a caravel with a trireme is better than getting
> attacked. Ok perhaps we should try to unload first, but thats not a good
> idea in every case.
>
> With that restriction the normal playerattack case isn't possible:
> Move a fregatte with a horsemen near to an enemy city, kill the defender
> (lets say its an horsemen), unload the horsemen, enter the city.

How about move a frigate to a city, unload the horsemen, attack city with
frigate, enter city with horsemen?  You method is better in presence of
autoattack though.  Mind you, present AI can do neither (at least
"intentionally")

> Something else:
> This function looks at tiles adjacent to the unit in order to find
> something
> to kill or explore.  It prefers tiles in the following order:
>
> Returns value of the victim which has been chosen:
>
> 99999    means empty (undefended) city
>
> Why do we only look at adjacent tiles? Players look on reachable tiles.

It says "this function".  There are other functions :)

G.