Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3646) freeciv-ai ai_military_findvictim
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:18:38 -0800

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:03:55AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > When looking at some AI-games (with diplomacy patch) is saw that AI is
> > better in landwar thenin seawar. Really bad in expanding, bad in
> > cityplacement, not optimal in the building it builds ...
>
> True. Mostly because the settler code sucks. Secondly because the ferry
> code sucks.

Where is the settler code?

> > > Can someone give sketch some ideas on how the AI _should_ use paras? Since
> > > the AI is omniscient, its use of paras can be deadly, if coded correctly.
> >
> > Jump into empty cities or on adjacent tiles and conquer it after.
> > That is not more or less deadly than normal players do. I thought we
> > want an AI which can beat players like K and not an AI which is
> > hopeless.
>
> I'm afraid it is not that simple. You have a para in city X, there is no
> target nearby. This is the most common case - you build them one place and
> use them some other place. What do you do? Do you let the standard AI
> routines handle it until you are in a city and there is a jump target
> somewhere? Then it will be unlikely to activate often. Or do we give it
> over to special para code which attempts to find cities from which it can
> jump? Here we risk not using paras as regular troops when they could and
> should be.

You seldem build fighters near enemy cities, they have to "jump" to the
front too. And using paras as normal units should be only done when you
have to defend. But in the attacking case "jump" step by step to the
front. When there is no front which can be reached within 10 fields of
your imperium you have to move them with ships or build cities between.

Think the airlift code and the airgoto codo should be a good place
to search how to handle the move from paras.

When you reached a front city, you can attack out of that city.

But usually i build the invading units at my front. So i don't have to
care how to bring them to front.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: