Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:38:17 -0800

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:24:53AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:

> I don't like that renumbering has to happen at both ends, and it has to
> be "the same".  This seems error-prone, or just plain ugly if you have
> to communicate about the renumbering to get it right.

we do this all the time (and things like CMA demand that we do it right).
of course it's error prone. I've spent I don't know how many hours tracking
down the worst-case scenarios. We'll just have to do it right.

> > what's the purpose of the ID? you still have to pass
> > the relationship between the ID and actual number...
>
> Why?  If this is true, it certainly makes the ID more trouble than it's
> worth...

please explain in detail how your id system would work.

> How does this affect the trade route issue?

CVS is exactly the system you propose (the client and server each number
independently) What happens when the server renumbers a tile (the homecity
of a traderoute) without a unit move? The client can't track the change
without help.

-mike