Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:20:25 -0800

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:50:20AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:46:07AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> >
> >>Mhh I didn't looked at the code but IMHO there should no client
> >>recycling. The server just sends the seed(s) and the client renumbers.
> >>
> >>So when and why does the client recycle continent numbers?
> >

> > say you have 4 conts and a unit discovers that 2 and 3 are the same, then 3
> > is renumbered to 2, so you have 1,2,4. The server will then recycle 4 to 3.
> > So will the client, because it knew that the continent set to 2 was
> > previously a 3. If the server had to tell the server this, then the server
> > would have to search the entire map for a 4 tile and tell the client to
> > renumber it. This of course is possible, but wasteful, but if we're going
> > to do this, we should ditch recycle_continent_num altogether. I'll check
> > this.
>
> I still don't like the wanton passing-around and runumbering of
> continent indices.  I think the server should only send the client the
> continent ID (an arbitrary number that isn't related to the index and
> doesn't change).  It is then up to client and server to separately use a
> continent numbering system (or just use a linked list).

why don't you like it? what's the purpose of the ID? you still have to pass
the relationship between the ID and actual number... With PPOV, using the
actual number doesn't give the client any more information. We've already
been through the separate numbering systems... How do you deal with the
trade route issue?

-mike