Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:44:37 -0800

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:46:07AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:

> Mhh I didn't looked at the code but IMHO there should no client
> recycling. The server just sends the seed(s) and the client renumbers.
>
> So when and why does the client recycle continent numbers?

say you have 4 conts and a unit discovers that 2 and 3 are the same, then 3
is renumbered to 2, so you have 1,2,4. The server will then recycle 4 to 3.
So will the client, because it knew that the continent set to 2 was
previously a 3. If the server had to tell the server this, then the server
would have to search the entire map for a 4 tile and tell the client to
renumber it. This of course is possible, but wasteful, but if we're going
to do this, we should ditch recycle_continent_num altogether. I'll check
this.

> Since a tile is either land or non-land this is not useful. What would
> be usefull if you create a union. But also this has nothing to do with
> the patch.

say I want to number inland lakes, for example to see if I want to build
that battleship in the city next to an ocean only 10 tiles big? or if that
battleship can reach a particular target?
Or if we ever decide to expand the kinds of ocean tiles. There may be many
reasons to do so. anyhow, with the current and forseeable restrictions on
map size, 32000 continents is plenty.

-mike