Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Raimar Falke via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:46:07 -0800

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:59:35AM -0800, Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:

> [rfalke - Sat Jan 25 10:32:07 2003]:
>
> > Why do we need num_continents in the paket?
>
> so the client knows when to recycle continent numbers. There are several
> cases where the server has to send a continent number that is less that
> game.player_ptr->num_continents, so you can't trigger a recycle simply
> on that. At that point there is no other way.

Mhh I didn't looked at the code but IMHO there should no client
recycling. The server just sends the seed(s) and the client renumbers.

So when and why does the client recycle continent numbers?

> > You replaced unsigned short int with signed short int. Why? Shouldn't
> > we introduce a typedef for this?
>
> I did this, because we might want to number oceans at some point, and I
> think that negative numbers in continents should be the mechanism. A
> typedef is pointless here I think.

Since a tile is either land or non-land this is not useful. What would
be usefull if you create a union. But also this has nothing to do with
the patch.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx