Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:24:53 -0800

Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:50:20AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:

>>I still don't like the wanton passing-around and runumbering of
>>continent indices.  I think the server should only send the client the
>>continent ID (an arbitrary number that isn't related to the index and
>>doesn't change).  It is then up to client and server to separately use a
>>continent numbering system (or just use a linked list).
>

> why don't you like it?

I don't like that renumbering has to happen at both ends, and it has to
be "the same".  This seems error-prone, or just plain ugly if you have
to communicate about the renumbering to get it right.

> what's the purpose of the ID? you still have to pass
> the relationship between the ID and actual number...

Why?  If this is true, it certainly makes the ID more trouble than it's
worth...

> With PPOV, using the
> actual number doesn't give the client any more information.

True.

> We've already
> been through the separate numbering systems... How do you deal with the
> trade route issue?

How does this affect the trade route issue?

jason