Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2641) islands from the client's point of view
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:50:20 -0800

Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:46:07AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
>
>>Mhh I didn't looked at the code but IMHO there should no client
>>recycling. The server just sends the seed(s) and the client renumbers.
>>
>>So when and why does the client recycle continent numbers?
>

> say you have 4 conts and a unit discovers that 2 and 3 are the same, then 3
> is renumbered to 2, so you have 1,2,4. The server will then recycle 4 to 3.
> So will the client, because it knew that the continent set to 2 was
> previously a 3. If the server had to tell the server this, then the server
> would have to search the entire map for a 4 tile and tell the client to
> renumber it. This of course is possible, but wasteful, but if we're going
> to do this, we should ditch recycle_continent_num altogether. I'll check
> this.

I still don't like the wanton passing-around and runumbering of
continent indices.  I think the server should only send the client the
continent ID (an arbitrary number that isn't related to the index and
doesn't change).  It is then up to client and server to separately use a
continent numbering system (or just use a linked list).

jason