[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2369) iso-view eye candy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2369) iso-view eye candy
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:31:44 -0500

Anthony J. Stuckey wrote:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:19:50AM -0500, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

An example of the limitations the old system runs in to is that 2^4=16 tiles simply is not enough. If you manually blend this tile with the adjacent one, you have to assume all adjacent tiles look the same.

        Why?  Are you saying that you have to choose a specific tile type, and
create the blended area to match that assumption?

In Trident, when two terrains border each other there is always grassland (dark green) in between. The tileset tries to "round" the terrain, but it assumes the adjacent terrain matches grassland.

It may be possible to work around this with the current civ1 system, but I don't see how.

I've put up some screenshots at http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/. Compare trident.png to isotrident.png. The difference between the two is incredible. The new system is overwhelmingly better.

Especially, look at the border between the grassland and desert in the upper right of the screenshots. Even this common scenario can't be handled by the old system.

        ??  It looks fine to me.  The desert meanders through.  What looks bad
are the coastlines, and your middle section with
grassland/plains/arctic/desert intermixed.

Although the plains is surrounded by desert, there is grassland in between the plains and desert. Perhaps our opinions differ, but this looks far worse than it does in isotrident.

The border of the artic does look far worse, though.

Why do you think the coastlines look bad? Again there is the grassland problem here, but to me it doesn't seem as bad as the plains boundary.

jason