Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves
From: Tom Goulet <tomg@xxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:25:45 +0000

> Finally, you forget what I think is the "killer argument" for asynchronous
> unit moves (as you call it): It is the only way to ensure that players
> don't cheat by building autokill clients.

And not only that, it makes autokill clients a good idea (if still
feasible).

If I had known an existing term for asynchronous unit moves, I would
have used that.  :)

> In any case, you will need to split up the turn into several "phases" (or
> whatever) each with its own timeout.

It would be a lot like playing your typical card game.  There would need
to be one "unit move space" and one "whole turn space", which means two
different "turn done" buttons.  "units done" and "turn done".

If you want to be a little cheaper in terms of code you could end the
turn when the last player's unit moves were done.  I'd be happy to play
it without timeouts.

--
TomG

http://em.ca/~tomg/contact.html