Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 05:18:27 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Tom Goulet wrote:

If I had known an existing term for asynchronous unit moves, I would
have used that.:)

There isn't any, but I would rather call it alternating movement, or
something like that. Asynchronous seems to suggest that movement now is
somehow synchronised, which it isn't, it is just simultaneous. But who
cares what you call it ;)

Actually, I'd call the current implementation asynchronous (nobody ever has to wait), while the "alternating moves" system is synchronous (you must wait for your opponent to move before you can).

So yes, I'd say a different name would be desirable :-). I'd suggest "turn-based movement" (as opposed to "real-time movement").

I remember a brief discussion about this some time ago; no doubt it's happened before as well - but it seems nobody has ever implemented it.

http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx/2001/09/msg00499.html.gz

jason