Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: asynchronous unit moves
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:13:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Remember, we're not suggesting that each player has his own turn. We're
> > suggesting partitioning up the turn so that each player moves in one part
> > of the turn.
>
> And why only the movement?

The suggestion is to split the movement in a turn into alternating
sequences or phases. The reasons have been explained many times.

I like to play Freeciv as a game of strategy, not as a clickfest where the
player with the faster connection, nintendo-trained reflexes and who has
memorized every keyboard hotkey wins the battles and ultimately the game.

> Because games with the above modification will take a longer time. I
> don't know how much longer. But if it is a factor of 5 or higher I
> would say that you would need PBM or similar things.

The original post claimed it would not be slower. I think it would be
slightly slower, but only marginally so, and not by more than a factor of
X, where X=the number of players or teams, in the worst case.

Only testing will tell exactly how much slower it will be on average,
though.

Obviously, this is most useful for games where you have two players or two
teams, and less useful for each additional player/team added.

Yours
Per