[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:13:37 +0200

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:59:29PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:

> Or we can think about client side saving of attributes. But this would
> be hard since the server and all clients have to have consistent
> state. Something like this:
>
>  user request save at the server
>  server requests save from all clients
>  all clients reply
>  server freeze (no network communication)
>  server saves
>  server calcs hash over savegame
>  server thaw
>  server sends save-finished with the hash
>  clients save their current attribute under the given hash
>
> The server has to obviously send the hash of the savegame at the
> start.

I think it's not so hard. Is it really neccessary that client attributes
coincides with the savegame *exactly*? I don't think so.

The agent data, as of now, are user input. What happens if they don't
fit, e.g. a city doesn't exist any more? They can't be applied. The
client could be somewhat fault-tolerant about this. The worst case
is the user has to redo some agent settings. This doesn't harm,
as long as I can control the saving of the client attributes.

That is why I'd think savename + year is unique enough.

If we get CS-Integration (after the release) this could be nicely
automated (Server save and client save).

> This would work but is a lot more complicated.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/