[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:43:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:08:10AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>
> > I'm torn. On the one hand a proxy proxy sounds so damn cool. On the other
> hand a patch for Freeciv that saves everyone this hassle.
>
> No.  It seems overkill to in SOCKS support code just for the 0,001% of users
> who depends on a SOCKS proxy and are too lazy to solve the problem
> in a different way.

I have no intention of implementing full SOCKS support. I leave that task to
others. All I will be implementing is Raimar's suggestion of taking the HTTP
1.1
implementation from wget.

And this is a catch 22 situation. The proportion of Freeciv users who are SOCKS
users is tiny precisely because they can't even connect.

> --
> Reinier

Aloha,
RK.

"Remember ? that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
"And that which does kill us leaves us dead!"
{Carpe Jugulum, 1998}