[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:53:46 +0200

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 03:51:24AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > I'm behind a HTTP proxy. I've taken the steps outlined under how to
> > > connect if you're using a HTTP proxy in the README. It hasn't worked.
> > > The proxy I'm using has automatic, not manual configuration. Mozilla
> > > works fine, but not Freeciv. Any ideas as to how I can work around
> > > this? Does Freeciv actually support automatic proxy configuration?
> >
> > AFAIK, no. How does "automatic proxy configuration" work in Unix? I've
> > seen the lynx docu explain how to set proper proxy environment variables,
> > and I suppose those are general and can be used by us as well.
>
> It doesn't work in Unix at all, as far as I can tell. Per, I've read the info
> document on lynx. I'm none the wiser. Can you send me further information?
> Note: I have to send a password/username to use the proxy, after logging on
> with the same username/password in ppp.
>
> Is anyone here familiar with the Mozilla source? Which files have the their
> automatic proxy handling code?

AFAIK HTTP 1.0 supports proxy but doesn't support any proxy specific
features like proxy authentication. HTTP 1.1 however supports proxy
authentication. For HTTP 1.0 it is sufficient that the program knows
proxyhost:proxyport. Such information are avaible to the program
through the environment variable "http_proxy" as used by lynx, wget
and also freeciv.

So if you want to use freeciv with proxy authentication you can either
setup a proxy proxy ;) which translates the proxy authentication
guared webaccess to a non proxy authentication guared webaccess. Squid
may do this. Or you can add proxy authentication to freeciv by copy
and pasting the code from wget or other sources.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  A supercomputer is a computer running an endless loop in just a second