[Freeciv-Dev] Re: where has tile merging gone? (was: Question (SDL UI))

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: where has tile merging gone? (was: Question (SDL UI))
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 14:55:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Reinier Post wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:46:21PM -0400, Daniel Bennett wrote:

> > > I tried your tile caching and edge merging patch, it would be great to
> > > have this back ... and it would apply to all clients!
> > >
> >     That was about four years ago.. I'm surprised anyone remembers it.
> > I might be able to resurect and clean that before messing with SDL.  Does
> > anyone know where I might find a copy of it?
>
> I can't find it on any of my systems
> The tileset you used is on ftp.freeciv.org but the patch is not.
>
> freeciv-dev mentions it:
>
>    http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-199905/msg00307.html

As best I can follow this message out of context, it proposes doing for
overhead exactly what we do for isometric -- before isometric view came
into existance.

It does indeed save sprites.  This is, I would note, something of a mixed
blessing.  Trident puts little cacti in the desert.  Isotrident doesn't --
because it only has one desert tile, and cacti would get painfully
repetetive.  I've had similar problems elsewhere (hence the multi-dither
patch).

I realize I'm getting off topic here, but what freeciv needs for better
eye-candy is more *variety*.  Now that we have cevo to work with, we
really should increase the number of city styles.  Maybe even make them
show up differently after railroads.  And how about random stuff that can
appear on terrain?

Just some thoughts,

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."