[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 05:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 03:51:24AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >
> > --- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > AFAIK, no. How does "automatic proxy configuration" work in Unix? I've
> > > seen the lynx docu explain how to set proper proxy environment variables,
> > > and I suppose those are general and can be used by us as well.
> >
> > It doesn't work in Unix at all, as far as I can tell. Per, I've read the
> info document on lynx. I'm none the wiser. Can you send me further
> information?
> > Note: I have to send a password/username to use the proxy, after logging on
> > with the same username/password in ppp.
> >
> > Is anyone here familiar with the Mozilla source? Which files have the their
> > automatic proxy handling code?
>
> AFAIK HTTP 1.0 supports proxy but doesn't support any proxy specific
> features like proxy authentication. HTTP 1.1 however supports proxy
> authentication. For HTTP 1.0 it is sufficient that the program knows
> proxyhost:proxyport. Such information are avaible to the program
> through the environment variable "http_proxy" as used by lynx, wget
> and also freeciv.
>
> So if you want to use freeciv with proxy authentication you can either
> setup a proxy proxy ;)

I'm torn. On the one hand a proxy proxy sounds so damn cool. On the other hand
a patch for Freeciv that saves everyone this hassle. Any chance you can narrow
it down to a specific file Raimar? Where in the wget source should I dig to
find their authentication stuff?

>which translates the proxy authentication
> guared webaccess to a non proxy authentication guared webaccess. Squid
> may do this. Or you can add proxy authentication to freeciv by copy
> and pasting the code from wget or other sources.
>
>       Raimar
>
> --
>  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   A supercomputer is a computer running an endless loop in just a second

Aloha,
RK.

The trouble with heart disease is that the first symptom is often hard to
deal with: death.
                -- Michael Phelps