[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problems connecting to the Metaserver
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:39:43 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> It doesn't work in Unix at all, as far as I can tell. Per, I've read the info
> document on lynx. I'm none the wiser. Can you send me further information?
> Note: I have to send a password/username to use the proxy, after logging on
> with the same username/password in ppp.

Do you have a SOCKS proxy? Those are troublesome. I've successfully used
used a proxy-without-login (such as squid) with lynx, and if lynx can do
it, freeciv should be able too, but as I said, SOCKS is a different beast.

See http://www.socks.nec.com/

If you do use a SOCKS _compatible_ proxy, you can socksify your system
using Dante, a free SOCKS replacement and library. See
http://www.inet.no/dante/, and read their FAQ.

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21