[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tools

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tools
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:37:34 +0200

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:09:57AM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 01:42:23PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > I want to mention two tools which were recently discussed at
> > linux-kernel:
> >  - http://ccache.samba.org/. It caches the output of compilation and
> >  so can speed a "make clean;make" up. This makes it also faster to
> >  switch between client versions. After two days of usage:
> >
> > cache hit                           1846
> > cache miss                          1426
> > files in cache                      2852
> > cache size                         139.3 Mbytes
>
> I don't understand how this works.  Seems nice.

It is a cache whose keys are hash(pre-processed input, command line
args) and the values are the resulting .o file and stderr output.

> >  - http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/ and
> >  http://www.flourish.org/cinclude2dot/. This allows the creation of
> >  dependency graphs. I have put a sample result in
> >  ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/graphs.tar.gz including a
> >  script to create the PS files. If you look at common-module-dot.ps
> >  you will see the many dependencies we have in common and will bring
> >  us headaches when we start inlining stuff.
>
> I've always wanted to see exactly this.  Perhaps it can be integrated
> with the source code views on the website.

Generating the graphics interactively seems a bit hard. Just putting
on the website in PNG or GIF seems easy.

        Raimar
--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"