[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 100% Civ II Compliance - still a development goal?

To: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 100% Civ II Compliance - still a development goal?
From: "Sam Barnett-Cormack" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:30:30 +0100

No, I'm not saying "we should be fully CivII compatible because CivII is the
best" (repeat by rote) but I am saying "If we are still stating CivII
compatibility as a goal, we ought to work towards it". Abandon it as a goal
and I won't give two hoots, but as it is a stated goal we ought to persue
it.

I've (briefly) played CivIII. Quite nice, but I found it 'felt' oddly like
freeciv in some undefinable way. Certainly we ought to take on some CivIII
features, as they are good, but I'm not saying "make it like CivIII now"
because we haven't stated that as a goal.

And I never suggested that the free version should be identical to CivII -
just that there is an option to make it as close as possible, or indeed to
mix an match features.

> What, if anything, is the difference between Hari Krishna devotees and
> money-junkies / moneyholics ?????

umm... HKs follow a recognised and not too daft religion, and you do get
some HKs who aren't annoying about it, just like you get christians who
aren't annoying about it, and atheists who aren't annoying about it.

All in all, your post seems a derogatory rant at those advocating
compatibility *options* in freeciv, to make it play closely to CivII *when*
*you* *want* *it* *to*... and I feel justified in taking moderate offence at
the misrepresentation and insults.

--
Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer