[Freeciv-Dev] Re: for discussion: ics revisited

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: for discussion: ics revisited
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:40:51 +0100

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:40:39PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > This patch limits the usefulness of _only_ playing with inifite city
> > sprawl (ics) as a player strategy, without imposing artificial limitations
> > like notradesize, citymindist and family.
> >
> > It doubles research cost, and doubles the effect of all science
> > improvements.
>
> This should be played with.  Hard to say how good it is from the
> description.

I once had a thought (yes, really ;) that the tech cost increase
is unreasonable. At the moment we have

cost(n) = 10 * n

So, in the beginning there is a big increase, making it hard to
get new techs in midgame. At the end you have come up with developement
at its fairly easy to gain techs again.

So, why not

cost(n) = 30 + ( 5 * (n ^ m)) with m ~ 1.1 .. 1.3

Just as an example. I think this would change things pretty much,
and I *believe* it would be good for non-ics strategy.

Just my 0.001375 euro

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/