Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 00:14:23 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> > I'll try to look into that. Another thing about roads that bothers me is
> > where I grew up (England) the Romans were always mentioned as the great
> > road-builders. Do puny pre-Roman roads really count for much on the Civ
> > scale? Would the Roman roads have to count as Superhighways or something
> > to account for their purported great innovativeness and power/utility? Or
> > is this just English myth that doesnt reflect the reality of roads and
> > just admires the Romans excessively?
> >

> Totally accurate. Don't know how to simulate that though. Maybe improved
> highways with 1/6 th move cost.

That seems excessive, unless maybe for Superhighways. Better would be
simply not to give roadbuilding to settlers automatically. Make it
(optionally of course) be a later development, possibly following The
Wheel inasmuch as I also was taught that the Roman roads were specifically
optimised for Chariots. Grooves to keep the wheels in line or something.
They might very likely require Masonry as well as The Wheel.

Speaking of Wheels though it also might be nice to figure out what the
heck the Plains of Nazca (sp?) Wonder was about, inasmuch as we are told
those people did not have The Wheel. Possibly their idea of a Cathedral
(yet they were Polytheist rather than Monotheist back then were they not?
Or maybe it was an abortive move toward Monotheism? Certainly seems most
likely it was intended as some kind of a Wonder. Heck, it still IS a
Wonder in a way isnt it?

BB
MM

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/