Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:46:30 +0100

On 2002-02-28 04:32:34, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Daniel_Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2002-02-27 23:33:31, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > It's ok. I think that Freeciv has too many nations. I mean, the
> > Lithuanians,
> > > Koreans and Polish civs are nobodies. They never had a crack at world
> > > domination. The nation list should be trimmed down to countries that were
> > > actually military, or scientifically dominant  or owned large chunks of
> > > the
> > > world. All three of course would be better and is actually common.
> > > Basically, civs which if you mentioned them doesn't get the responce, who?
> >
> > I don't agree...
> > Freeciv is not meant to be historically correct in any way really...
> > Rather the opposite... That is, the possibility to play a game where
> > Lithuanians settle the new world, keep it and dominate the world is a
> > _good_ thing...
> >

> The real reason I want fewer civs is that I like the Civ 3 approach, where
> every
> civ is actually different. With 100 + civs, coming up with items to make them
> different is very hard. 16 civs is easy. I also support using the Civ 2
> approach
> where you can type in your own tribe name.
>
> The other reason is that Civ 2 and presumably Freeciv is actually about
> history.
> You're playing actual nations, perhaps on the real world map on the actual
> planet with actual technology. If I wanted to play a game divorced from
> reality,
> Alpha Centauri would be the one.

Well, I consider freeciv not to be a clone if Civ 2 but a general
civ-game-engine... Civ 2 might be about history, but IMHO that
only means that it should be possible to play freeciv in that way - not
that we should limit it to that by removing "non-historical" nations...

> Let's face it. In the best of all possible worlds, I cannot imagine certain
> civs achieving world domination, or even controlling a large land mass.
> Some nations have to be the victims. Every nation cannot be equally good at
> science and war.

Not right now, no... But if you cannot imagine any nation achieving
world domination if they started 6000 years ago (or any nation today
gaining world domination in 6000 years) and had an immortal leader
with insight into the future I think you have poor imagination... :)

/Daniel