Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:17:02 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> > > Hmm, how about this then?  The nation name is a popdown menu that can set
> > > the flag to match.  Patch is attatached, screenshot at
> > > http://speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/nationSelectShot2.png
> > I still preferred the original idea of
> > groups, dividing them along continental lines.
> > North and South America, Africa,
> > Asia, Europe, Australia. You click on North America for instance and get to
> > select the Americans or the various Red Indian tribes.
>
> Well, there's nothing saying you can't combine this solution with tabbed
> groups... But I would prefer a few bigger groups and that fits in well
> with this patch... So you could have e.g. one group for existing
> nations, one for middle-age, one for historic and one for fantasy
> nations... Or something like that...

Ah, but please note that the nations and the number of nations will change
from modpack to modpack, and so should the name of any groups used for
tabs, and also note that some modpacks will use nation flags that are
totally unknown to players (at least in the beginning) and nation
selection there can be a very important decision, not just a flavour thing
like for default rulesets. (Eg most players would not know the difference
between Sauron's flag and Saruman's, but they sure would like to choose
which to play.)

So we need to see the names of the nations in the nation selection dialog.
Maybe add the name of the nation below the flag in a very small font?

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli