Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Daniel_Sjölie" <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:33:31 -0800 (PST)

--- Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> > Much better. It's pretty and functional. I still preferred the original
> idea of
> > groups, dividing them along continental lines. North and South America,
> Africa,
> > Asia, Europe, Australia. You click on North America for instance and get to
> > select the Americans or the various Red Indian tribes.
> >
> OK, yet another version.  This doesn't have tabs, but it is built to
> handle vastly different numbers of nations.  Check out
> http://speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/nationSelectionShotFew.png
> http://speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/nationSelectionShotFewer.png
> http://speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/nationSelectionShotSemitic.png
>
> Personally, I find the idea of categorizing nations to be highly
> intimidating.  Are the turks asian, european, or semitic (does that third
> category exist?).  Should the Aztecs be put with the Sioux, or the
> Mexicans (or if those are both considered north american, is mexico
> seperated from argentina?).

That is why I suggested by geography. No one questions that Turkey is an
Eurasian nation. In fact, Europe is not even a true continent. There is only
Eurasia.

> Furthermore, it would make the eurocentracism of Freeciv's nations
> painfully aparent, and make it harder to find really cool looking flags.

It's ok. I think that Freeciv has too many nations. I mean, the Lithuanians,
Koreans and Polish civs are nobodies. They never had a crack at world
domination. The nation list should be trimmed down to countries that were
actually military, or scientifically dominant  or owned large chunks of the
world. All three of course would be better and is actually common.
Basically, civs which if you mentioned them doesn't get the responce, who?

The revised nations list I would like to see:

Ancient Civs:

Romans(Italians get removed. Romans were tough and well disciplined. The
Italian
civilisation is basically a nobody civ in spite of the Renaissance).
Greeks(Ancient Greeks - not the moderns.)
Sumerians, Assyrian,Babylonian,Indian,Aztec, Mayan. Not sure which nation in
North America was overwhelmingly dominant. Probably the Mayans, no Sioux or
other tribes.
Japanese - very old civ. You could argue it was an offshoot off chinese, but
nonetheless pretty old.
Egyptian

Medieavael

The vikings, the Arab nations, Syria, Egypt, Persia. France. Egypt, Britain.
Austria Hungary, Turkey, Germany. Oddly enough Sweden. Their king was
apparently the basis of modern military tactics in the gunpowerder era.

Modern Times

America, Russia, (South Africa is a strong African nation, but does it really
have a world domination chance?)European Union.

I would also love to see real differences when you pick a civ.

Why? You click on one category, and it shows your existing dialog, just with
fewer nations. This is a way to cut down on the initial amount of nations
displayed.

> Even so, this patch supercedes my previous one, as handling different size
> nationsets will be useful for other things, and the patch takes care of
> selecting invalid nations from the dropdown as well.

good.