Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Add buy info

To: Raimar Falke <rfalke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Add buy info
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:58:43 -0600

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 04:31:53PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:22:56PM +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > Problem with Raimar's patch: you can't sell anything after
> > you have bought something.
>
> It looks like some error of me.

This is a bug that is my fault. (and it happens in the cvs version too)
For some unknown reason, I thought that that was prohibited (from old
citydlg code perhaps?), anyway, looking at handle_city_sell, I see that
it's not the case. I'll fix this.

> > Problem with Mike's patch: Gold is not updated when I sell
> > a building - neither in this or in another city.

Damn. Not enough testing.

> > Besides this - to be honest - I'm not happy with both of them.
> > There should be a popup which asks you whether you really want
> > to buy / sell IMHO, like it is now. This is to have a safeguard
> > and because the user expects it to work this way.

I agree, but my version does make you click twice. Is this not safeguard
enough?

> > So these patches are about having the price for the unit / improvement
> > displayed? What about this suggestion: Put the price there where
> > the progess bar is now, i.e. remove the bar. I don't like this
> > thing since long, because you neither can see clear the scrollbar
> > nor the numbers at the same place. Then you can put it like this:
> >
> > Musketeers
> > 4/30  9 turns   price 85  [buy] [change]
> >
> > Deactivate the buy button if you can't afford it and deactivate
> > the change button if you've already bought this turn.
> > This solution also gives more space for the improvements list.
>
> Looks ok. How implements it?

I agree this is probably the most elegant solution.
I'll implement this today or tomorrow.

-mike