[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver segfault with new research system (PR#1221)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver segfault with new research system (PR#1221)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:10:34 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:24:25AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > Yes but only for a short time. Barbarian however don't do it at
> > all. Example:
> >  n players
> >  you don't know the tech yet
> >  all other players (n-1) know the tech already
> >  and there are b barbarians who doesn't know the tech either
> >  leakage style 2 (becomes 1 in the patch)
> >
> > With barbarians:
> >   cost'=(((n+b)-(n-1))*cost)/(n+b)=((b+1)*cost)/(n+b)
> >
> > Without barbarians:
> >   cost'=((n-(n-1))*cost)/n=cost/n
>
> I'm not happy with this.  Barbarians start out smarter later in the
> game,
> so which wouldn't they become smarter according to the same rules?  Why
> insist on treat barbarians in a special way?
>
> Another example: a barbarian takes the city with the Great Library.
> Will the barbarians get its benefits?  Why not??

Because they can't read :(

> I just think barbarians should be normal players whenever possible,
> otherwise
> you're only complicating the code and contradicting user's
> expectations.

Actually it makes a lot of sense.  Barbarians who overrun a city should
ideally become a new civilization.  After all this was the origin of all
modern european nations.  But would anyone be willing to seriously work
on it (I mean "on barbarians", not "on origins of nations")?

G.